Sunday, October 01, 2006

Movie Season

It’s Sunday, it’s raining, and it’s October! October tends to be the beginning of my hibernation, and I start to think about all of the movies that I want to see during what I’m sure is to be a rainy fall, and a snowy winter. Right now, I’m particularly excited about two films: Running with Scissors and Shortbus.

Running with Scissors is being released in theatres on October 11th. For those of you who haven’t heard the buzz, it’s based on a memoir by Augusten Burroughs – a fantastic author. The book concentrates on Augusten’s younger years, when his parents get divorced, and as his mother slips into a deep depression: giving Augusten away to her crazy shrink. The story is unbelievable, shocking and touching, all surrounded by a delicious layer of humour. Watch the trailer here – although I recommend reading the memoir first (because, as usual, I don’t know how a film is going to do the book justice).

Secondly, I’m very excited about John Cameron Mitchell’s second film: Shortbus. The story is in essence an uncensored look at relationships and sex. CBC personality Sook-Yin Lee was nearly canned by the network for having participated in the project. It looks like the film is going to be provocative, innovated, and pushing the limits – what else would we expect from JCM? Watch the trailer here.

But the film fun doesn’t stop there! The image+nation film festival starts in a mere six weeks! More than a full week’s worth of queer films from around the world. I’ll write a separate post about that later…

No comments: